A huge thank you to My Mind’s Eye for the beautiful patriotic party goods. Although I was given resources to create this post, all of my opinions and feelings about (how gorgeous and well-made) their products are 100% my own. This post also contains affiliate links. For more information, see my disclosures, here.
Hi Friends! It’s almost the 4th of July. Today I have the most delicious apple pie recipe to share with you. This apple pie recipe has been in our family for generations and it’s one of my all-time favorites. There is nothing more American than apple pie so I thought, in honor of 4th of July, this would be a perfect time to share this amazing recipe.
The Patriotic Table Display
Let’s party in the USA! To go along with our delicious apple pie I also created a festive patriotic table display. All of the paper decor is from My Mind’s Eye. Isn’t it adorable?! I was so surprised to receive a box full of these patriotic paper goodies a few days ago. I instantly fell in love with each item. Every piece is so high quality and very well-made. I love all of the glittery accents and thick paper stocks. I decided to arrange all of the paper fans in the center of the table display so it would resemble bursts of fireworks.
The Printable Designs
To get you even more 4th of July ready, I also designed a few coordinating printables to match the decor. These printables are available for free in the Just Add Confetti Printable Library. The “Stars and Stripes” and “Home of the Brave” printables are sized to be printed on 11×17 cardstock. The “Party in the USA” printable is 8×10. The small sparkler printable fits 9 tags on an 8.5×11 page.
Now, onto the main event! This apple pie is truly out of this world. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family and I do!
The Best Apple Pie Recipe
The recipe below outlines the apple pie filling used for the pie. This is based on using a 10 inch pie pan. Over the years we have experimented with a few different crusts and the one we like the best is the No Fail, Sour Cream Pie Crust from simplyrecipes.com. It’s so good!
- 8 - 9 Granny Smith apples peeled and thinly sliced (I use a mandoline slicer)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- Pads of butter
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- Small amount of milk and sugar
- In a large bowl combine sliced apples with lemon juice. Add all other filling ingredients and toss lightly.
- After thoroughly mixing, place apples in a colander to drain the cinnamon sugar mixture. Retain ½ cup of this juice mixture. (This will later be used on top of the apples once they are placed in the bottom pie crust-lined pan.) Next spoon the apple mixture in the pie crust-lined pan. Add 1-1/2 Tablespoons of cornstarch on top of apple mixture.
- Spray a microwavable measuring cup with non-stick spray and add the ½ cup cinnamon sugar mixture and 2 Tablespoons cubed butter. Boil the mixture for 8 minutes in microwave to reduce to ⅓ cup. Drizzle this sticky mixture on top of the apples.
- Place pads of butter on top of filling and then add top crust.
- Cut 6 - 8 small slits in the top crust to release steam.
- Spoon a small amount of milk on the top crust and sprinkle with sugar.
- Use a pie shield to protect the edges from becoming too brown.
- Bake in a preheated pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes and then reduce the temperature to 350 degrees for 45 - 55 minutes.
LOOKING FOR THE FREE PRINTABLES?
As I mentioned above, these 4th of July free printables are located in the Just Add Confetti Printable Library.
If you use this apple pie recipe or any of the printables, I’d love to see! Please follow along on Instagram and tag me. I love connecting with all of you and seeing your awesome creations and celebrations!
Wishing you a safe and happy 4th of July!
PINS FOR LATER: